Saturday, January 9, 2010

Winter Wonderland

I returned to Canada for the Christmas holidays, spending time in Toronto, Saskatoon, Edmonton, and my mom's farm just outside of Westlock, Alberta.

Westlock decorates its main streets.



Many people in my home town like to decorate their homes with lights for Christmas.



Fortunately, Mother Nature decorated our farm with hoarfrost while I was out there.





This is a playhouse that my brother Gary built for his children when they were younger.



This is our driveway. I especially like the spruce tree. I can remember my father planting that tree many years ago, when it was only about six feet tall.



This is the view from my bedroom window.



The temperature stayed between -20 and -10 Celsius while I was out there. After months in the plus 30 temperatures of Chennai, I feel that I adapted reasonably well to the change: I had plenty of sweaters, socks and long underwear to keep me warm. One thing that I'll have fun explaining to friends back in Chennai is the northern luxury of heated car seats. I'm sure I can describe the technology, but I have no idea how I'll be able to convey how much we appreciate it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey. I love the Canadian outdoor. Specially since I've been watching the Canadian Arctic story on Nat Geo. I have a cousin in Edmonton too. I've already asked him to take me farther north (when I visit, that is, and if he has the balls!!)

    ReplyDelete