Friday, June 19, 2009

Un Canadien errant

I had a wonderful surprise birthday party at work today. Co-workers from Mississauga told co-workers in Chennai that June 19 was the day. I was called into a meeting room and everyone was there. They sang me Happy Birthday and someone sang me another song in his language. They gave me a beautiful gift and card that everyone had signed. We all had some chocolate cake too.


Sorry I don't have photos of the celebration itself, but because of security rules at the office, we're not allowed to bring in cameras.

Part of their tradition is that the birthday boy sings a solo! This is true, because someone else had a birthday celebration earlier in the week and the group insisted he sing a solo too. I went blank and couldn't think of a song I could sing that would fit the occasion and for which I could remember the words. Fortunately, someone suggested I sing a French song and it came to me: un Canadien errant. Well, partially came to me. Here are the words I sang:

Un Canadien errant, banni de ses foyers (2x)

J'ai oublié les mots
Je les ai inventés
Un Canadien errant, banni de ses foyers

Translation:
A wandering Canadian, banished from his home (2x)
I forgot the words
I made them up
A wandering Canadian, banished from his home

I chose to not provide my audience with the translation. Is that a bad thing? :-) I did tell them it was about a Canadian who was far from home.

In case you're wondering, you can find the real words here, along with an English translation. For a beautiful rendition of the song (not mine), check out this YouTube video. This guy is singing from his room at Camp Athabasca Lodge, not far from Fort McMurray in Alberta (my home province) and it is really heartfelt.


Don't worry, I'm not homesick! But thanks everyone for the comments, emails and Facebook wall posts - I really appreciate them.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Wayne! Have you had a chance to ask about the music school? Piano? Just curious.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday Wayne! Are you able to do some running over there? We're gearing up for Pride weekend here, which seems to be the official start of summer. Looking forward to your next posts. Cheers!

    Allan from Frontrunners

    ReplyDelete