Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Solar Eclipse

I got the shot! The day started out hazy, but the partially covered sun poked through the clouds around 6:10 AM on July 22, 2009. The maximum coverage in Chennai was 62%; northern Indian cities of Surat, Bhopal, Patna and Guwahati were in the totality path. Clicking on the photos below enlarges them, making the eclipse more visible.






There are certain beliefs in Chennai around eclipses. Some consider them inauspicious. Two different people warned me against eating around the time of the eclipse, as it could impair the digestive system. The Times of India reported that many temples, which usually open to devotees at 5:00 AM, would remain closed until after 8:00 AM. Previous experience had shown that people would not come until the eclipse had passed.

Canadians might be surprised to learn that temples would open at 5:00 AM on a regular day, but I'm learning that many Indians are morning people. This past Sunday I left the hotel at 6:00 AM for a day trip to the temple town of Kanchipuram, and found many people up and going about their business, meeting people and stopping at cafes for a good cup of Chennai coffee. This is the complete opposite of Amsterdam, which I visited in 2007. When I arrived at my Amsterdam hotel at 7:30 AM on a Saturday morning the streets were silent and empty, except for a lone jogger, and a couple of dog walkers. I found out why the following Friday night, when the party in the street didn't stop until 6:00 AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment